Wednesday, January 02, 2008

trial by ice

It was 8 degrees when I was walking to work this morning, and 15 once I reached downtown. Yes, that's fahrenheit.

This was really my first experience with the really cold, with the exception of last night when I ventured outside for the first time all day at 7 to have dinner... I don't know how cold it was exactly, but I heard rumors that it was 6. I did OK for a Californian. I forgot my hat and I didn't wrap my scarf right, but I had two hoods that kept my head warm and the scarf, though not covering my face as much as it should have, kept my neck warm. In truth, I'm not sure I can tell the difference between the cold and the really cold, but I probably won't willingly be venturing outside very much so I can learn. Anyway, the cold just becomes a part of life. Like putting on my shoes and underwear in the morning and before I go outside, I also put on a scarf, mittens, a hat, and a big coat. That way, whether it's 32 or 2, I'm prepared.

1 comment:

leeann said...

32 and 2 really are quite a bit different, though. Right after we talked, I checked the temperature and it was actually 8 degrees ("feels like -5") outside. Oh, the woe. I don't care what i look like with my scarf wrapped over both ears and nose and mouth--single digits make the face hurt!