Thursday, March 13, 2008

shalom

This afternoon, in the midst of front-page news about Israel and Gaza bombing each other again and the school kids getting shot in Jerusalem last week, I got an email with flights, dates, and a packing list.

Shalom, Lindsey, it said. You're going to Israel.

My philosophy behind traveling or basically doing anything else that scares me out of my mind is to not to think about it until the time comes. This way, I can sign up for things that I feel would be good for me, things that I feel I should do, and I don't have to think about exactly what I'm doing before it's too late. Like going to Spain and moving here, I don't freak out until I get to the airport, and by that point there's no turning back... Like that famous picture that still stands on the shelf above my parents' office computer, of me at the airport about to leave for Spain for six months, my eyes red and tears running down my cheeks. I knew objectively that studying abroad was good for me but if I wasn't an adult I would have tried to run and hide behind my mother's apron strings. But I am an adult. So I do it.

In this case, there are other factors at work besides simply being fearful, tired, or unwilling to leave the country. This is the Middle East we're talking about, after all. Nevertheless, I know this trip will be good for me because it has been for so many others like me, and I am an adult, so I'll do it. And not think about it until it's upon me.

(You can bet that I will think about it while I'm there and when I return. Check back in MAY and JUNE--and before and after that--for my thoughts on Israel.)

1 comment:

Monique Geisler said...

From one seasoned traveler to another, that apprehensive feeling is what makes it all worthwhile. Being able to look back and say, "Wow, look how far I've progressed since my last day in the U.S."

I know you'll have a great time once you finally get there. But until then, happy months of anticipation :)