Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I scream for myscreen

I currently have no screen on my window, and it's a big window, dirty and ancient with bent black metal frames, offering views of my next-door neighbors and the stunning I.V. coastline. It's a considerably better view than I had out of my cubby hole window in Spain, a view that was monopolized by the mammoth apartment building exactly like mine next door and the neighbors that never closed their windows in the summer heat. In Spain I dealt with the bugs that used to come through the window by shrugging, "It's Spain, and it's a little backward sometimes." Now, back in frontward Santa Barbara, I scratch my bug bites and curse my landlord for not giving the screen guy who came yesterday a work order for my window and for thinking it's ok to leave me screenless for much longer. It's funny the things I expect from the "civilized" U.S. of A., but I forget that the bracket of college students without much money, soon to graduate and have less money, shouldn't expect anything. Especially in the United States that's really only civilized to those who can afford it.

But I guess freedom of speech is pretty important.

No comments: