Monday, May 07, 2007

by the way

I believe that global warming is happening. Perhaps that point was a little muddled by my late-at-night brain. I think that the world’s reliance on cars -- especially the U.S.’ -- and its relative resistance to making them run with anything other than gas is disgusting and I wish I understood how cars work so I could do something to change it. I also hate that America is resistant to sign anything that pledges to lower emissions… though the UCs, for example, are doing well in that area, not everyone has jumped on the bandwagon. At the same time, it seems like nothing anyone does is going to be enough, if global warming is occurring like scientists say. But I suppose a counter to that is somewhat like the arguement for voting: every little bit makes a difference. And it couldn’t hurt to try.

I think most people are aware of it by now, which is probably a result of Al Gore and, at least at UCSB, the drill approach they’ve taken to provide us with speakers and books and discussions on it. It just seems like it’s all going to blow over. Like the Iraq war, perhaps. Next year, the vast majority will wonder if global warming is still around, it’ll be like a distant memory and everyone will be thinking, instead, about the presidential elections, or whatever it is that comes next. I could harangue the media for that, but I will abstain because i'm considering "the media" as a career and I believe in the good of newspapers, at least, at any cost. As long as the people that matter don't forget about it, the ones who sign bills and make cars and get the masses to change their lives and do things in general. Until then... I, personally, will think twice before driving anywhere (now more than ever because, with a broken car, I can't drive anywhere), use low-emissions light bulbs (even if they are blindingly bright), be receptive to new hybrid/electric/whatever car technology, and do whatever else I can think of to reduce my own impact on the environment.


I will not, however, buy credits to offset my carbon emissions. I think that's a strange and counter-productive way to live environmentally. I can use my car as much as I want as long as I pay some company according to how much I drive to invest in sustainable energy sources. Really? I will also probably not spend a year without toilet paper like the family in the New York Times who decided to be zero emissions for an entire year. But I believe in it.

No comments: