Wednesday, May 09, 2007

here's to hoping this is true

If I may make a terrible comparison that only I will understand, decision making is a lot like editing. A lot of things are like editing done right, but right now i'm feeling the decision-making parallel.

When I first read a horribly written and organized article (at least by Nexus standards), I feel overwhelmed, I do not know what it's trying to say, I have no idea which details matter, and I have a million questions buzzing around my fingertips. If it's especially confusing, i'll sit down with the writer and ask him or her to summarize the issue. If it's workable, i'll go through cutting and pasting, organizing by topic and spacing paragraphs to keep myself organized. Then i'll start from the top. Formulate a lead that grabs the reader, gets them hooked on the most interesting aspect of the story. Then i'll write the second paragraph, the nut. This usually takes the longest, summarizing the article and pertinent background into four to five sentences. It's also usually accompanied by a feeling that the article will never, ever make sense, nor did it make sense to begin with. Nevertheless, the remaining paragraphs usually organize themselves, pending the insertion of a really good quote, some good transitions, interesting lead-ins, and sentence variety. It's a bell curve, really, in terms of difficulty, and a diagonal in terms of improvement.

I think i'm beginning the down slope to my decision-making bell curve. I've talked to the necessary people, I've organized, i've reorganized, i've prioritized, i've rationalized, i've toiled, i've made lists, i've thought long and hard... i've written my lead and my nut and I think i'm just leaving that part where my efforts feel hopeless and just starting that part where the story writes itself -- where the decision decides itself. I'm just about to insert the best quote into the story, which generally makes me feel (if it's good enough) like all the stress was worth it.

Well I don't know if I could ever say that. Maybe when hindsight kicks in in a year or so. But the journey back to normal feels so much better when the high point of the bell curve (the vertex, if you will) was just out of my reach.

No comments: