Thursday, November 01, 2007

disconnected stories with the same theme

I walked to the train this morning, ears freezing off my head, cheeks stinging, wondering how I'm going to survive the winter. I'm never going to wear my hair up. I'm going to invent a nose warmer with my sister and start a company. I'm going to get a black ski mask and never show anyone my face. I'm going to wear ear muffs. I can't wait 'til it's cold enough to wear my winter coat: then I will be warm.

-----

I stood on the packed train this morning, wedged between a tall guy in a smelly red fleece jacket, a guy in a hat reading the New York Times, and the door. It was so packed that I didn't have to worry about falling: gripping as tight as I could onto the metal pole, bending my knees, or shifting my weight. I was sweating inside my new wool sweater (from a thrift store, $5), a scarf, my new brown boots, and my California-winter jacket. I turned my face up to the train map above me and wished I was almost at my stop.

-----

A woman in the elevator mentioned to her companion that it's supposed to snow next week. A flutter in my chest and a million things running through my head: what will I wear? what shoes will I wear? How cold will it be? When will it happen? Where will I be? Isn't it too early for snow? Is this the beginning of the winter? My cheeks red, my eyes twinkling, myself getting suddenly three feet shorter, a sled appearing in my hand I gazed out the window, looking for a cloud. I burst into the office, smiling, and said quickly to my co-worker, a Chicago suburbs native, "Someone in the elevator said it's supposed to snow next week." "No way," she said. "Don't ruin my morning." Well, anyway, weather.com says it's not supposed to snow next week. In fact, the lows don't get below freezing and the highs don't get below 45. I'm going to buy wool socks and long underwear and sweater tights and long-sleeved shirts and more wool sweaters that aren't itchy and I'll be fine. And snow? This is me in snow:


-----

I always write about the cold. I have other things to say, but sitting here at my desk, still in my wool sweater, sipping my tea, the cold is what I think about. Because it might not be warm outside, but it's not warm inside either. My fingers are chilly on the keyboard, my nose is frigid. About that nose warmer.

1 comment:

Paige said...

We can sell nose warmers in the lobby of our restaurant!!! Sara can engineer a new, very warm and wind resistant fabric for them. By the way, today I didn't need a jacket at school...