Sunday, January 22, 2006

El Almuerzo:

I definitely ate what my dictionary translates as “small cuttlefish” for lunch today.

Patatas con choco.

The dish actually looked very much like what we had yesterday. A soupy yellow sauce presumably spiced with saffron. Chunks of potatoes (patatas) instead of pasta. But today, instead of shrimp, there was choco. I wasn’t quite sure what choco was, and my señora’s explanations of it were inconclusive. It was definitely some sort of sea creature with small tentacles. It was white, not too smelly or strong, and a little chewy. It wasn’t bad. In fact, the dish as a whole was warm and very tasty. But I couldn’t get over the choco. So when my señora asked me if I liked it, noting the three pieces of choco left in my bowl, I said “I’m not really sure if I like eating choco.”

I surprise myself, though, because I’ve eaten and liked 99% of her meals. Shrimp. Sausage. Ham. It’s very kosher.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

there's a strange chinese snack called "dried cuttlefish". i've never tried it.