Sunday, January 22, 2006

Speaking of kosher

Tonight I got to the table and, to my horror, saw a plate filled with what looked like living shrimp. Shrimp with eyes and legs and tails and skins. They were langostinos. Crayfish. I didn’t know exactly what to do with them. But my señora said they’re caro en Sevilla, so I decided I should eat them reguardless of how many eyes they have. She helped me take the head, tail, legs, and skin off… and they looked and tasted just like shrimp, but a little saltier. Yum!

Eating all this foreign Andalucian food makes me feel very gastronomically sheltered. I said I don’t eat much shellfish at home, and my señora asked if they exist en mi tierra. Well yes, but I don’t eat them. I don’t even think about them. They’re less common, more of a delicacy. I’m eating all this amazing and exciting food here, and what do I eat at home? Chicken and veggies? What do Americans eat? Hamburguesas? There’s nothing wrong with food in America, but it’s just different. I wonder how that happens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Divergent diets are just another cultural phenomenon like clothing and linguistic variations.

It's great to read of you embracing that divergence. It would be ashame to see a world so homogenized that we could no longer find something wonderfully strange to put in our mouths. The sensuality of the palate is easily, and generally quite cheaply, aroused. Furthermore, we can, without shame or lingering commitment, indulge it several times a day.

Buon appetito

Anonymous said...

LINDSEY!!!!! I MEAN LINDA!!!!! I MEAN ISSY!!!!!!!! I AM LOVING READING ALL OF THESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND I MEAN LLLLOOOOVVVVVEEEEEE!!!!!!!

You are having the TIME OF YOUR LIFE. I know how you feel because of Bosnia...Isn't it wonderful to just SOAK IT IN!?!?!?!?

Okay keep absorbing. Hasta luego! Vale?

--Marissa :):):)

Anonymous said...

I'm from the South, and we eat crayfish all the time. Only we spell it crawfish and put it in just about every dish we can think of....

That is, THEY eat it all the time. I'm not particularly fond of it.

The main thing I remember about food in Spain was that we got very hard-crusted bread with every meal that was very good, but that I should try not to eat any of the cheese or meats of strange colors.